Understanding Medicare Out of Pocket Costs

This article explores the Medicare out of pocket costs associated with Medicare Part A, Part B, Part D, and Medigap.

Medicare Out of Pocket Costs for Part D

The first thing most seniors ask when they visit the doctor is, “Is it covered by Medicare?” Medicare has established deductibles, copays, and coinsurance costs. Visit the Medicare.gov chart 2020 Costs at a Glance for more information.

Most Part D drug plans have Medicare out of pocket costs, monthly premiums, coinsurance and copayment costs for different kinds of drugs, and you pay a percentage of the drug’s price. Experimental drugs typically are not covered by Medicare.

Copays differ as much as $100 or more for a 30-day supply, even for the same drug. (Hint: when trying a drug with possible severe side effects, only purchase a small supply and test whether it agrees with you. No sense buying more than you will use.)

Medicare Out of Pocket Costs for Part A and Part B

Medicare Part A and Part B will generally pay 80% of hospital and doctor expenses. Most people pay only $144.60 a month (in 2020) for their Part B premium. The remaining 20% is Medicare out of pocket costs that you are responsible for, and why a Medicare Supplement plan (Medigap) is recommended.

When visiting your doctor, there is a one-time annual deductible amount of $198 (in 2020) subtracted from the doctor’s fee after which Medicare typically pays 80% of the Medicare-approved amount of the service.

How to Cover the 20% Gap

Original Medicare will generally pay 80% of hospital and doctor Medicare out of pocket costs. You may be responsible for paying the remaining 20% of your Medicare related bills, known as the Gap in your coverage, and there’s no annual limit on what you might need to pay out-of-pocket!

A Medicare Supplement plan (Medigap) generally has a monthly premium with little to no copays, no coinsurance, and no major deductibles. This is why 9 out of 10 seniors choosing a Medigap plan when they are first eligible and stay with a Medigap plan to help manage their health care costs. See how affordable a supplemental insurance plan can be by contacting a MedicareInc.com licensed professional.

Looking for a Medicare Plan?

Find a Medicare Supplement Plan That’s Right for You

Looking for a Medicare Plan?

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Category: MedicareMiscellaneous
22 people found this article helpful.
Did this article answer your question?