When it comes to Medicare Supplement plans in Arizona, there are some key differences to know when you compare them to Medicare Advantage plans. Enrolling in Medicare can be tricky. You have to enroll at a certain time and you have to make sure that you choose the right plan.
What you might not know is that a Medicare Supplement Plan offers far more advantages than a Medicare Advantage plan. All of the advertising on TV and in your mailbox seems to tell you otherwise. However, let’s discover the five ways Medicare Supplement plans in Arizona are different from Medicare Advantage plans. In the end, you can decide which is best for your health.
First off, a quick review of Medicare will tell you that Original Medicare (Parts A and B) only covers 80% of your health-related medical costs. Most seniors are then left with the decision to cover that extra 20% in a variety of ways. When you look at all of your options, Medicare Supplement plans lead the way.
Let’s take a quick look at how that works. After enrolling in both Medicare Parts A and B, you are covered for up to 80% of your medical bills by Medicare. The remaining 20% is covered by a Medicare Supplement plan in Arizona. This is the average 80/20 model that a Medicare Supplement plan provides. Unlike the Advantage plan, the Supplement company has no control over payment. As long as Medicare approves and pays its portion of 80%, all Supplement companies are legally required to cover the remaining 20%.
Now, let’s discover the 5 Ways Medicare Supplement Plans in Arizona Are Different From Medicare Advantage Plans :
Medicare Supplement Plans in Arizona Have No Network
One of the biggest advantages of Medicare Supplement plans in Arizona is that they have no networks. That means if your doctor accepts medicare, they will also accept your Medicare Supplement plan.
The same is not true for a Medicare Advantage plan. Medicare Advantage plans have a network which means you are limited in the resources that you can use.
Medicare Supplement Plans in Arizona Have No Max-Out-of-Pocket Costs
Perhaps one of the most hidden parts of a Medicare Advantage plan is that there are huge max-out-of-pocket costs. What does this mean? It means that each year you could be subject to $8300 in out-of-pocket costs when you go to use your Medicare Advantage plan.
Most Medicare Advantage companies rave about how they offer a zero-premium plan. What most people fail to ask is how a Medicare Advantage company pays the bills if they are not charging a monthly premium. They make up the cost of your zero monthly premium by charging you outrageous max-out-of-pocket costs.
Medicare Supplement Plans in Arizona Give You the Ability to Choose Your Own Drug Plan
Some seniors get wrapped up in the idea of having their drugs covered through a Medicare Advantage plan, but once again this is an easy fix. By choosing a Medicare Supplement Plan in Arizona, you have the freedom to choose your own drug plan.
By choosing a Medicare Supplement Plan in Arizona, you are not restricted to a single drug formulary. You will have the flexibility to change your plan each year if necessary. Additionally, changes made to your Supplement plan will not affect your drug coverage. With a Medicare Advantage Plan, you are stuck with whatever they provide. You have no flexibility and cannot make your own changes.
Medicare Supplement Plans in Arizona Allow You to Travel
A huge benefit to choosing a Medicare Supplement Plan in Arizona is that your coverage travels with you. In your retirement years, you might be hitting the road a little more and that means you rest easy with a Medicare Supplement plan because you are covered.
Medicare Supplement Plans in Arizona You Are Not Limited by Treatments or Procedures.
A huge blunder with Medicare Advantage Plans is that the Advantage companies themselves have the full authority to approve or deny your medical treatment. If they do not want to cover a treatment or procedure, they can easily and simply deny it. Which of course, will leave you high and dry to pay out of pocket.
In the Medicare Supplement model, determining the medical necessity of a treatment or procedure is the responsibility of Medicare, not the Supplement companies. Medicare has a comprehensive list of medical treatments and procedures that are categorized by billing and coding, and they are responsible for adding or removing items from the list. Although Medicare doesn’t cover everything, they cover almost everything except for some random tests and procedures.
So keep in mind that if a treatment or procedure is covered by Medicare, the Supplement companies are required to cover the rest. However, if non-emergency medical care is required that’s not on Medicare’s list of approved treatments, doctors can work with Medicare to get the necessary approvals. Unlike the Medicare Advantage model, where the Advantage plan has full authority over approving or denying claims, the Supplement company has no control over what’s covered. Essentially, doctors now have the freedom to work with Medicare to get any treatments or procedures approved that they feel are medically necessary.
These are the top ways that Medicare Supplement Plans in Arizona are different from Medicare Advantage Plans. We often wonder why they were named ‘Advantage’ when they in fact have almost no advantage to them. You are best covered with a Medicare Supplement Plan in Arizona. Do you need help today signing up for Medicare? Please give us a call at 480-382-1823.